It's only fitting that on the week of a royal visit, it's a Palace that has won Ottawa's Best Chinese Food – Golden Palace on Carling Avenue.
Ottawa's oldest Chinese restaurant has been family-owned for 51 years and bills itself as world-famous for its egg rolls.
"Mostly it's pork and there's a lot of vegetables inside," said manager Yuen Ping Lee. "Very fresh, celery, onions, and cabbage but some of the time you don't see it."
In what's becoming a Best of Ottawa theme, he wouldn't disclose all the ingredients.
"It's greasy and they love vegetable too and obviously there's something in between you know, I won't tell you," he laughed.
Golden Palace took the title by about 1,500 votes over Golden Bowl on Cyrville Road.
- Golden Palace (on Carling) 6902 (53 %)
- Golden Bowl (on Cyrville) 5411 (41 %)
- Royal Treasure (on Somerset W.) 282 (2 %)
- Ruby Inn (Bank/Walkley) 269 (2 %)
- Won Ton House (on Wellington) 217 (2 %)